Monday, April 23, 2007

Trying Something New

I have just gotten home from a 4-day painting retreat. Unfortunately, I was a member of the retreat committee, so I did not get to do a lot of painting. I did have an opportunity to teach two 4-hour classes in Genesis and two 2-hour make-it-take-it classes. I like going to retreats and conventions. They provide an opportunity to gather with friends and acquaintances who share your interests. You can share ideas and a really good time. But retreats and conventions also provide an opportunity to try something new--a new technique, a new surface, or even a whole new medium. With a minimal investment, you can get a taste of something you haven't tried before and decide if you want to pursue it further.

Amidst all of the activity, I did make time to take one class. It was a class in chalk pastels. I have never used pastels, although I think pastel paintings can be quite lovely. I have read a few books and scribbled a little, but I was not happy with my results. Taking a 4-hour class with someone who knows what they are doing is a wonderful way to learn a little. I like pastels. I don't care for the mess--and they are messy. I have learned enough to know that I would like to work with them a bit more.

Here is my class piece--my very first pastel. The piece is painted on Mi-Tientes paper using Rembrandt soft pastels. The name of the piece is "Chloe". She is a ShihTzu and belongs to the instructor. I am quite proud of my first effort.

No comments: