Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A New Medium, A New Addiction

A week ago, I attended a 3-day seminar on colored pencils. I was really looking forward to the seminar and suspected that I would enjoy using pencils. I never thought I would find them so totally compelling. Colored pencils are a good medium to have in your bag of tricks. They are totally portable. With a container full of pencils, a support surface with some clips, and some paper you are in business. Another little bag with a pencil sharpener, maybe a blender, a kneaded eraser, and a regular lead pencil completes the things you need to create with colored pencils.

In the seminar, we used a number of different surfaces including papier mache, card stock, and suede board. I have also played with a wooden box and Bristol Vellum. All of these surfaces work really well with pencils.
Here are the projects we did in the class:
Day One: Wildflowers on Papier Mache Book
Day Two: Elephant on Black Cardstock
Day Three: Lighthouse on Suede Board

No comments: