Saturday, November 15, 2008

New project

I can't believe it has been more than a month since my last post. I have been busy teaching classes and time just got away from me. My classes are finished for the season and now I can concentrate on new projects.

This week I designed a new fabric painting project that will be a Make-It-Take-It at the December meeting of Town and Country Decorative Painters. This is painted using DecoArt SoSoft fabric paint on a light weight fleece throw. Painting on fleece is a challenge because of the nap. If you are going to paint on fleece, select a subject that is not highly detailed and is suited to showing texture. In applying the first layer of paint, it is necessary to scrub the paint into the fleece if you want fairly solid coverage.

This design is a snowman. The first step is to scrub an off-white color into the fleece with a deerfoot stippler to create three snowballs that make up his body. While the paint is wet, you can scrub in the shadows and the highlights. Then it is a matter of using flat, filbert, and liner brushes to dress him and apply details. The last step is to go back to the deerfoot stippler to add the snow on the ground with the same colors you use on the snowman. The ground cover will look better if it is not scrubbed in to the fabric as solidly as the snowman.


No comments: