Sunday, July 19, 2009

Teapot

Sometimes we just have to try our hand at something different. On a recent visit to Baltimore, my friend and I went to one of those paint-your-own pottery places. She needed to pick up some items her children had done and I took the opportunity to paint a teapot. When you go to these shops, you purchase the bisque ware and for an additional fee (essentially, the price of the piece again) they provide glazes, paint brushes, and other tools so that you can paint your piece. When you are finished, they apply the glaze and fire the piece. It is ready to be picked up about a week later. My friend had to pick my piece up and mail it to me. I got it a few days ago.

My teapot has a sponged basecoat and then I drew my poppies on the sides with a pencil before I painted it. When you are working with glazes, you cannot be certain what it is going to look like until after it is fired. There is a certain element of surprise in the process and you don't have as much control as you do when painting with acrylics, oils, or even watercolor. Here is my teapot. It is a respectable effort, given that I was guessing at what the result might be.


No comments: