Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wednesday--reclaiming a piece gone wrong

My painting for today almost ended up in the waste basket! I started this piece in colored pencil on a 4x4 piece of Ampersand Clay Board. Remember, part of the exercise is to try new products, techniques, and ideas. I don't like working on board with pencils. It has so much texture that it wears the pencils down very quickly, it takes a very long time to fill the texture so that you get a finished-looking piece. I was very unhappy with the results I was getting after about 40 minutes of working mostly on filling in background. At that point, I almost threw in the towel and threw out the piece. So, I walked away and thought about it for a while. I decided to try overlaying the colored pencil with pastels. In the end, I had a piece that is worth keeping. This is one seagull from a photo of a flock of seagulls that I am planning to use for a large pastel painting. I used my Pan Pastels to lay in the sky. Then I went to my soft pastels and worked on the gull. I used Conte pencils for some of the details, but they were not very effective over the colored pencil.

No comments: