Friday, March 9, 2007

Time to finish up old work!

We all have them! Half finished projects that sit in the corners, closets, in boxes. They are not unfinished because we don't like them (usually), but because we painted them at a seminar or conference and when we came home life happened and we never got back to them. One of the tasks I am taking on as I clean, sort, pitch, and donate things from my studio is finishing some of the projects that just need a little varnish or touching up or the ooo-aahs put on them. In general, these are projects that I loved when I painted them and that I intend to keep and use.

One of these projects is a tea box that I painted in a workshop with Ann Kingslan several years ago--in fact I think it was the second piece I painted with Ann. Ann is a treasure! She is a wonderful teacher--someone who will teach you more in a week than you can learn from most people in a year. Her work is also spectacular. This piece is one of Ann's designs. It is painted on a piece of masonite and then mounted inside the lid/frame of the tea box. The piece was essentially finished in the workshop, but the box never got painted. So, this week, I finished the box. It was painted as was originally directed using a burgundy color. When I finished painting it, I really didn't like the look, so I went over it with silver Rub-N-Buff. I think the silver really sets off the silver teapot. I can't wait to use this piece in my dining room.

No comments: