Thursday, July 19, 2007

Another fun pumpkin project


I just can't seem to stay away from the pumpkin patch!! I picked up an 8" papier mache pumpkin a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to decide what to do with it.

Recently on a DIY/HGTV show called Creative Juice they created potpourri holders out of papier mache balls. They made the papier mache balls first which involved a lot of time to make the balls, cut them apart to remove the support, and put them back together. But essentially, once you have the papier mache object the project involved using an awl to poke holes in the balls with one larger hole for a cork. Then they painted the balls and attached ribbon so they could hang in a window. Finally, the balls were filled with aromatic spices like cinnamon, cloves, orange peel.

Here was the inspiration for my papier mache pumpkin! I poked holes in the upper half of the pumpkin. As soon as I find a cork, I will poke the hole for the cork in the side near the bottom. Then I painted the pumpkin using DecoArt Americana acrylic paints. Notice that it is not just solid orange, but has details with darks in the creases and blemishes on the sides. The stem is also painted so that it has the look of ridges. To finish it off, I will fill it with some fall-type spices and set in on a bed of silk leaves. It will make a stunning centerpiece that also smells good.

1 comment:

Cathie Filian said...

beautiful!

Cathie Filian
"Creative Juice"