Saturday, July 7, 2007

A Painted Joke

As a joke, I was given then gift of a wooden pig. This pig is made of five separate pieces--the body and 4 legs. The manufacturer's intention was that you should paint all the parts of this pig and then assemble them into a 3-dimensional display piece. Now, pigs are not my very most favorite subject for painting. I know that Jamie Wyeth painted a very famous pig (a painting that can be seen at the Brandywine River Museum near Chadds Ford, PA), but I do not know any famous pigs so this was not an option I wished to pursue. That left me with few choices: throw the pig away, give the pig away, or turn it into something creative and fun. I chose the last option. When you really look at the pieces, they look like the shapes of pumpkins and gourds. So I have turned these parts into a pumpkin patch. The ultimate joke is that I intend to return the pig to my friend as a fall display in a nice little basket. It will be fun to see if she recognizes it!!

No comments: