Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My latest effort

I have been spending a lot of time this week in my studio. What a treat! While I have spent a little time finishing up some little nothing projects that needed finishing, the bulk of my effort has been spent on this little box. The box is about 3x6 inches. It is painted in acrylics and water mixable oils. I recently started working long-distance with a teacher in Texas to learn some new techniques and hopefully improve my skills. This is one of the first complete projects we have done together. Working long distance over the Internet and with photos is frustrating, but we do what we have to do.

I don't know what this box was designed for. Something came inside it, maybe a pen or something so it has a finish. I am going to line the inside with felt and then--????

To paint the box, I first sanded the top to remove some of the original finish. Then I taped off the edges of the top and rolled on a basecoat. After that, I started painting. The background and the basecoating on each element was done with acrylics. Then I switched to the water-mixable oils to do all of the remaining work. I tried a quick dry medium this time. I'm not sure it really improved the drying time. I may need to try another brand.

No comments: