Friday, August 3, 2007

New Project

Some time ago I bought a tea box on clearance at TJ Maxx. I knew I wanted to paint something on the lid, but I didn't know what it would be. I just started working on it this week. The box is going to be included in a gift basket with a tea party theme.

I am doing this piece in acrylics because I don't have time to wait for the oils to dry and I don't know what will happen if I paint with Genesis and put it in the oven. The subject is a large white teapot from my collection surrounded by sunflowers and leaves. Obviously, the piece is not finished. This is a progress photo.

This box had a finish on it when I bought it. Unfortunately, the finished was marred and nicked, so I sanded it to remove some of the finish and painted the box Black Green. I removed the hinges so that I could paint without worrying about protecting them.

The top of the lid was taped off and then painted with a creamy white color. Then the design was transferred to the surface. With the tape still in place, I painted in the out-of-focus background, then proceeded to work on the teapot. Then I painted the table surface and blocked in the table cloth before removing the tape.

There is still a good bit of work to be done on this piece.

No comments: