Sunday, May 3, 2009

Here Kitty

Yesterday I had to do a demonstration to advertise my classes at Pat Catan's. I did a colored pencil demo and I may have a couple of new students as a result. The piece I chose to work on was a portrait of my friend's Siamese cat. The finished piece is about 4x4 on grey cardstock. In order to make the composition more interesting, I cropped the photo down to include just the cat and the flowers he was peeking through. Just because there is a lot of stuff in your photo, that doesn't mean you have to use it all. The cropped composition is more mysterious. You wonder what he is watching. Is he stalking something? Is he hiding from something? It gives you an opportunity to "write" your own story about what is happening.

Reference Photo

Colored Pencil Portrait

No comments: