Monday, May 7, 2007

Same Design, Different Media

I was continuing the clear out and set up of my studio when I came across a pair of ballet slippers. These slippers were given to me so that I could use them to set up a design for a painting. The original plan was to do an oil painting for my niece who was studying ballet at the time. To thank the young lady who gave me the slippers, I did the same design in watercolor for her as a gift. I did not think to take a picture of that piece, but she was thrilled with it. After a couple of years passed, I did another version of the same set up in watercolor with a different kind of background. The photo of the oil painting was taken with my old camera, so I must apologize for the quality.

The photos below show the original photo from which the paintings were done, the oil painting. and the most recent watercolor. The point of this exhibit is to show that you can take the same design and use it a number of different ways. In addition, this same design could be executed in pastels, acrylics, or graphite/charcoal. It could be painted on gesso board (like the oil), or on a box, a piece of furniture, a wall, or any other surface as long as you selected an appropriate medium. The background can be altered in a number of different ways as well. The size could be changed. All of these pieces are approximately 9x12, but it could be reduced to miniature size or enlarged to life size just as easily. Use your imagination and see where it takes you. I think I feel an urge to do another still life set up using these slippers.

No comments: