Friday, February 23, 2007

Multi-use designs

Sometimes I find that a design may work well in several different mediums. The very first project I ever developed was a watercolor painting of an old enamel teapot and lemons. It started as a project for a drawing lesson. My teacher had an old enamel teapot and set it up as a still life with a couple of lemons--a very simple set up. I decided to paint it in watercolors. Several years later, when I began to paint with Genesis Heat-set oils, I used the same design. The original was a 9x12 watercolor. The Genesis piece is 4x6. I have taught both the watercolor and Genesis versions of this design several times. Now, I am thinking about using this same design in a watercolor batik technique that I learned from Kathie George. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of this design.

No comments: