Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Setting up my studio--finally!

I spent this evening working on my studio. We moved into our house just a year ago. There is one room on the second floor that has a lot of built-in storage. It was originally a room for 2 children-boys we presume. There are 2 closets, 2 little built-in desks, and 2 built-in drawer units. In addition, between the two spaces where the beds were built in, there is another closet. I set my painting tables in one alcove and my mat cutting table in the other. There will be enough space to set up a couple of folding tables so that I can teach classes of 4-6 students. The problem has been that we needed to spend this first year putting a roof on the house, renovating the kitchen, and trying to figure out how to stop the water that was pouring into the basement every time it rained. My studio has been on hold. One of my big projects is "hoeing out" the surfaces and other stuff I really will never use. I have decided that I am concentrating on watercolor and Genesis oils and only doing acrylics when it is a project I love. That means getting rid of all the wood surfaces that can only be used with acrylics. What a job!!! I am really looking forward to being able to hold classes at home and also having a place to work comfortably. So, there was no painting or designing today. Just taking some time to varnish a couple of projects. Here is a Genesis piece that I will be teaching in April at a local retreat. The grapes are painted in grisaille (grey scale) and then glazed before the tints, highlights, and shadows are applied.


No comments: