Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A New Medium

Today I tried out water mixable oils for the first time. While I love my Genesis Heat-Set oils, there are some surfaces that simply won't work with them. I have a large project that I have been asked to paint for the Town and Country Decorative Painters for the large raffle item for this year. It is an open wooden box that sits on a metal frame shaped like a wheelbarrow. Sadly, it is a hair too large for my oven and I don't like drying Genesis with a heat gun. So, I ordered some water mixable oils. I ordered Holbein's Duo Aqua in the colors I need for the design I am painting. They arrived yesterday. I had already basecoated a key box and a lazy susan to use for practice pieces before I tackle the box.

I started with the key box. You will recognize the design. It is the same rose as the pink Genesis rose I posted last week, just a little more of it. The paints are creamy right out of the tube. They mix nicely, although I need to get used to these colors so that I get clearer mixes. There is a bit of an odor. It is not as much as regular oils, but they are not odor-free like Genesis. So far, I would say I will use them again, but only for surfaces that are not suitable for Genesis. So , here is stage 1 of the rose on my key box. Tomorrow it should be dry enough to add glazes and adjust values.

No comments: