Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Pumpkin Lazy Susan is finished!!!


Today I was finally able to finish my practice pumpkins on the lazy susan. The paint was actually dry enough to work on yesterday, but life got in the way and I could not get back to it until today. I am actually pretty pleased with the results and feel pretty confident about starting on the big project--the wheel barrow box. If you are interested in working with water mixable oils, here are a few things I have learned through trial and error (there wasn't really anybody to guide me with this product). These observations apply specifically to the Holbein product and may or may not be the same for other brands.

1. Even though the Holbein Duo Aqua says it will dry in as little as 24 hours, don't believe it. You need to allow at least two days and three may be better. My piece did not have heavy layers of paint on it and it took three days.

2. Using water as a solvent to create glazes was very unsatisfactory. It simply made runny paint that did not glaze over the surface.

3. Water soluble linseed oil DOES make a good medium for creating glazes. I bought a bottle of the Winsor and Newton brand from their water soluble oil product line. I was able to get a good shadow glaze by mixing Black + Ultramarine Blue and then brush mixing the linseed oil in it as I worked.

4. The brushes clean up beautifully with soap and water. Actually, I used some of my brush cleaners and they did not work as well as my Melaleuca Naturals Hand Soap.

5. I will not give up my Genesis Heat-Set Oils in favor of the water mixable, but I am certainly glad I tried them. I now have a product that I can use when Genesis is not an option.

No comments: