Thursday, June 7, 2007

Stage 2--completed key box

Today I finished up the key box. I was a little disappointed in the way the glazing worked with the oils paints. I ended up rouging on color instead of using the glazes I had mixed with water. (remember, these are water-soluble/mixable oils) Everything I read told me the paints dried in as little as 24 hours. This turned out to be partially true. Some areas of the painting were dry, others were not. The thinnest applications of paint were the areas that were pretty dry. The leaves were still quite wet. Fortunately, the work I needed to do was on the rose and then painting the "gold" lettering on the background. For future projects I will have to allow more drying time between stages. I certainly will not abandon my Genesis Heat-Set Oils in favor of the water mixable. I have been spoiled by the fact that in 10 minutes, the Genesis is chemically dry and I can move on tot he next stage of the painting as soon as the piece is cool.

No comments: